A new fund providing risk capital to early-stage innovation-driven ventures.
IDEA Seed Fund
AboutWe invest in high-potential, innovation-driven, early-stage ventures based in Puerto Rico that are looking to scale globally.
What We Are Looking For:
- Start-up based in Puerto Rico
- Business with the potential to scale globally
- Innovation in product or business model
- At revenue or pre-revenue stage, but with an existing prototype or MVP
- Evidence of customer validation
- A team of 2 or more
- 40+ hours a week dedication team
- At least one member with industry expertise
- Preferably more than one founder
- Company for which a first investment of $25,000 makes a difference
- Ideally showing traction (revenues, customers, users, leads, etc.)
- No special preference for any specific industries
How We Invest:
1) We begin with a first convertible note of $25,000, and set a milestone plan together with each company for the next 3 months;
2) We are able to follow-on with a second convertible note of $75,000 for top performing companies, and establish the milestone plan for the following 12 months, to be reviewed on a regular basis;
3) Additional follow-on funding, up to $125,000 in an equity seed round, will be limited to top performing companies and conditioned to matching funding from third-party investors.
- In-kind and special discount rate service agreements
- Coaching sessions with angel investors and experts
- Access to our local and global network
1) Before applying, we advise that you check if your start-up fits with the criteria listed above (we value your time, and our time is valuable too!)
2) If you consider you are a good fit, complete the YouNoodle Application by clicking on the Apply Now button below
3) Our application is open on a rolling basis, you will be considered for investment according to the date your submission was received
4) Notification of selected companies will happen the month following the application submission
1) You will be considered for investment according to the date your submission was received
2) If we decide we want to learn more about your company, we will invite you to pitch to our Investment Committee
3) If you get selected for the Due Diligence phase, you will be notified within 3 days of the Pitching Session. In our experience, the Due Diligence phase usually takes up to 60 days, and is highly dependent upon the entrepreneurs’ responsiveness.
4) The Investment Committee will meet to review the results of the Due Diligence, and we will notify the companies of our decision promptly.
We do not provide funding for:
- Companies not established in Puerto Rico
- SMEs or Lifestyle Businesses (e.g. restaurants, hotels, shops or other similar small businesses)
- Service companies (e.g. consulting, accounting, legal, marketing)
- Start-ups copying an existing business model, unless the potential of being acquired by a global player is high
The IDEA Seed Fund is made possible by a partnership between Grupo Guayacán, Fundación Banco Popular, and several angel investors in Puerto Rico, with the support of the Economic Development Administration and the Georgia Institute of Technology.